On January 7, Microsoft announced that the PowerToys will be kept updating for power users to tune and streamline their Windows experience for greater productivity. Now, it has been available on Windows 11 from the Microsoft Store.
PowerToys was firstly introduced with Windows 95. Two years ago, Microsoft and the brought it back for Windows 10 and it became popular among the Windows 11 power uses. Inspired by that, Microsoft decided to keep updating it for better working on Windows 11. PowerToys is an open source tool that the power users can contribute to the utility continuously to help users get more out of Windows operating system to its full potential.
As Microsoft wants to make it more friendly on Windows 11, PowerToys has been improved with Windows 11 UI. Currently, there are 12 utilities in PowerToys with the following languages supported: Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Czech, Dutch, German, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portugese, Portugese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Turkish.
Key features of PowerToys on Windows 11:
- Always on Top: Press Win+Ctrl+T to pin windows on top of all other windows;
- PowerToys Awake: When the time-consuming tasks are running, you can use this feature to ensure that the computer is always awake and does not go to sleep or turns off its screens.
- Color Picker: Pres Win+Shift+C to pick colors from any running application on your Windows system and the colors you picked will be copied into your clipboard in different formats. What’s more, you can also check the history of previously colors you picked. All the applications on your system are supported.
- FancyZones: As a window manager, it can help you create complex windows layouts and position windows to the layouts.
- File Explorer add-ons: Help you to display SVG icons (.svg), Markdown (.md) and PDF file previews in File Explorer.
- Image Resizer: It is an extension for resizing many images quickly.
- Keyboard Manager: You can customize the keyboard by remapping keys and creating your own keyboard shortcuts. And Windows 10 1903 (build 18362) or later is required.
- Mouse utilities: You can quickly locate your mouse’s position with a spotlight that focuses on your cursor after being enhanced;
- PowerRename: you can rename, search and replace files in bulk;
- PowerToys Run: Press Alt+Space to search and launch app instantly;
- Shortcut Guide: All the available shortcuts will be shown once you press the key Win+Shift+/;
- Video Conference Mute: When you are on conference call, you can press Win+N to mute your microphone and camera simultaneously.
All the above features and utilities are contributed by the power users from github. After going through the PowerToys features on Windows 11, you may want to download PowerToys and have a try from here.