More and more people are using VPNs to protect their privacy and access restricted movies, TV shows or games in some countries, as well as social software. Microsoft’s new Windows 11 system also supports users to add and use VPN. However, according to some user feedback, the VPN installed by yourself no longer works on Windows 11. Next, this article will tell you how to fix Windows 11 VPN not working.
How to manually add and connect VPN in Windows 11?
There are many reasons why a VPN app might not work on Windows 11. The quickest way is to re-add and set up the VPN connection on Windows 11. Maybe a quick fix for the Windows 11 VPN not working issue. Let’s take a look at the detailed steps to manually add and connect a VPN in Windows 11.
- Press the start button to select the pinned settings application.
- Then select the Network and Internet tab to the left of Settings.
- Click on the VPN navigation option.
- Press the Add VPN button.
- Press the save button.
- After that, you can select connection options for your VPN service under the Add VPN button.
What should I do if my VPN for Windows 11 is not working?
There are many ways to fix VPN not working on Windows 11. let’s check them one by one.
- Update Windows 11
- Open Settings from the start menu.
- Click the Windows Update tab to the left of Settings.
- Select the Check for Updates option.
- Then download and install any available Windows 11 patch updates.
- Reinstall the WAN miniport network adapter
- Right-click on the Start taskbar and select Device Manager.
- Double-click and expand the Network Adapters category.
- Right-click the WAN miniport (IP) and select the Uninstall device option.
- Select Uninstall at the confirmation prompt.
- Repeat the previous two steps for the WAN miniport (PPTP) and WAN miniport (IPv6) devices.
- After this, click on the Actions menu. Select the Scan for hardware changes option here to reinstall the adapter.
- Click Power and Reboot on the start menu.
- Try a dedicated VPN
Third-party VPNs are generally more stable, more convenient, and have more servers to cover more areas and countries, such as Private Internet Access.
It has strong AES-256 encryption, secure ports, and other security features such as a kill switch and anti-tracking options to keep user privacy safe. It is also one of the VPNs with the highest server coverage, with over 35,000 servers in over 70 countries around the world.
Installation is also very simple, install the app and connect to a private server at the push of a button.
- Flush DNS
Click the magnifying glass icon on the taskbar.
To find Command Prompt, enter the cmd keyword in the search box.
Next, click on the Run as administrator option of Command Prompt.
Enter these individual commands after each command Enter:
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
Close the command prompt.
Select Power, then Restart Start menu option.
- Disable Internet Protocol Version 6
- Use the handy Windows key +S keyboard shortcut to bring up the search utility.
- Enter a network connection in the search text box.
- Click View Network Connections to open the window you can see below:
- Right-click your VPN network adapter to select Properties.
- Uncheck the Internet Protocol Version 6 check box that is selected.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
- Disable proxy settings
- Open the settings window.
- Click the Network and Internet tab.
- Select the proxy option.
- If Use a proxy server is enabled, press the Set option.
- Then turn on the Use a proxy server option.
- Press the save button.
- Turn off the firewall
- Press the Search Tools Windows key + S hotkey.
- Search for firewalls.
- Select the Windows Defender Firewall search result.
- Then click the Turn Windows Defender Firewall navigation option on or off on the left side of Control Panel.
- Turn off Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click the OK button.
If you have third-party antivirus or firewall software installed on your computer, you need to disable it through its context menu. It can also be disabled by right-clicking its system tray icon. Choose to disable your antivirus utility before connecting to the VPN server.
If this method solves the problem, then you need to modify the Windows Defender Firewall settings of the VPN software. Check the public and private checkboxes for the VPN software. Then turn the firewall back on.
- Set exceptions for UDP
- To bring up the Run accessory, press the keyboard key Windows and the R keyboard key at the same time.
- Enter this text in the Open box of Run and click OK: regedit
- Then open this key in the Registry Editor window: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent
- Next, right-click the PolicyAgent key to select New, then DWORD (32-bit).
- Enter AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule for the title of DWORD.
- Double-click the AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule DWORD you just set.
- Enter 2 in the Value data box to replace the current value.
- Then press the OK button to confirm.
- Reinstall your VPN software
- Press the Windows and X keys at the same time and select Run from the pop-up menu.
- Then enter this run command and hit enter: appwiz.cpl
- Select your VPN software in the list of programs.
- Click Uninstall to remove the VPN software.
- Restart Windows 11 after uninstalling the VPN software.
- After that, open the download page of your VPN software in your browser. Choose to download the latest version from there.
- Reinstall the VPN software using the installation wizard.
- Reset Windows 11
- After resetting Windows 11, you will need to reinstall your VPN software and any other applications that were not preinstalled on your desktop or laptop. Therefore, re-platforming is recommended as a last resort.
- Press the and keys simultaneously to initiate the setup. WindowsI
- Click Recovery Navigation Options on the System tab.
- Press the Reset PC button to use the Reset this PC tool.
- Select Keep my files in the reset window.
- Next, choose the cloud download or local reinstall option depending on your preference.
- Click Next and then click Reset to confirm.
In conclusion, this article introduces 10 ways to fix VPN not working on Windows 11. we hope they are effective for you. if you have another other problems, welcome your comments.