In addition to being copied to the clipboard, the Snipping Tool in Windows 11 will also be auto saved in PNG format in the Snipping folder under My Pictures in app version 11.2209.2.0. You can enable or disable the Windows 11 Snipping Tool’s auto save screenshots according to your needs.
Windows 11 Snipping Tool
When you use the shortcut Win+Shift+S and capture a screenshot. The screenshot will automatically be copied to the clipboard, which you can paste into Paint or other image editors, or can be marked up and shared in the Snipping Tool. If you want to save the screenshot, you need to click the notification to open the Snipping Tool, then select the Save button in the Snipping Tool settings and browse the folder to save the screenshot.
In order to make it easier for users to save screenshots, Microsoft now adds a new feature of automatically saving screenshots for the Snipping Tool in Windows 11.
The following are the changes in the settings of the new version of Snipping Tool compared to the old version.
|Settings for Old Snipping Tool||Settings for New Snipping Tool|
|Automatically copy to clipboard||Automatically copy changes|
|Manually save screenshots||Automatically save screenshots|
|Save Edited Screenshots|
|Multiple windows||Multiple windows|
|Cut Out the Outline||Add a Border to Each Screenshot|
How to Enable Windows 11 Snipping Tool Auto Save Screenshot?
Microsoft introduced the auto save screenshot feature in Windows 11 22H2 Insider build 25211. So to enable or disable the Snipping Tool auto save screenshot, you first need to install this version.
- Open the Microsoft Store and update the Snipping Tool.
- The version of Snipping Tool with automatic screenshot saving is 11.2209.2.0.
- Using the Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut, options are displayed at the top and an area of the screen can be drawn and selected.
- Once this is done, you will receive a notification that the screenshot has been copied to the clipboard and saved.
- Locate the saved clip in the Screenshots folder of My Pictures.
How to Disable Windows 11 Snipping Tool AutoSave Screenshot?
- Press the Win key to open the Start menu.
- Enter snip to open the Snipping Tool.
- Click the three-dot icon and select Settings.
- Toggle the “Auto-save screenshots” setting to Off to disable the feature.
Note: This feature is enabled by default.
Now, you will know the different settings for old and new snipping tool in Windows 11 and how to enable or disable Windows 11 snipping tool auto save screenshots. Just have a try!