If you encounter the computer blue screen of death, INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, then please the following part. There are many reason causing this BSOD error, which is always shown by a “stop code”. Today, we will discuss INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE stop code with the 0x0000007b error code.
It is possible that the cause of the “INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE” blue screen is that Windows cannot access the memory partition that contains system files when the computer starts up. But don’t worry, this article will show you how to fix the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.
What are the reasons causing INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen?
Some common factors that cause the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error are as follows:
- Damaged or disconnected HDD or SSD.
- Corrupted or corrupted system files.
- Conflict between drivers.
- Outdated graphics/SATA drivers.
Knowing what is causing the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error will help us fix the error.
How to Fix Inaccessible Boot Device Error In Windows 11?
Perform secure boot
Perform Secure Boot by using the Windows 11 System Configuration app.
- Press Windows+r keys to launch the Run window. Once the Run window appears, type and execute the command: msconfig.
- Once the System Configuration window opens, click Boot next to General.
- Check the “Safe Boot” option under “Advanced Options” and click “OK” to turn on Safe Mode. Make sure that under the Secure Boot option, Minimal is selected.
- Click Restart in the System confirmation dialog and your PC will boot into Safe Mode.
Run an SFC scan
- Enter “command prompt” in the start menu search and select “Run as administrator” from the right panel.
- In the command prompt window, type and execute sfc /scannow
- Once the scan is complete, it automatically detects and repairs any corrupt or damaged files present in the system. Then check again if you still have the “Inaccessible Boot Device Error”.
Run a DISM scan
DISM scan is a command line tool similar to SFC scan. If SFC scan still fails to resolve Inaccessible Boot Device Error, then you can try DISM scan.
- Search for Command Prompt in Windows Search and click Run as administrator.
- Type and execute the command in the Command Prompt window: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- After the scan is completed, check if the Inaccessible Boot Device Error has been resolved.
Reinstall the GPU driver
- First, enter “device manager” in the start menu search, then select the app from the search results.
- In the Device Manager window, click the arrow before Display Adapters.
- Right-click the installed graphics driver and select Uninstall Device.
- Click Uninstall in the Uninstall Device dialog box.
After uninstalling the driver, restart the computer and check if the Inaccessible Boot Device Error is resolved.
Check the system drive for corrupt files
If all of above methods do not work, you can try to resolve the inaccessible boot device error by performing a scan of the drive where Windows is installed using the “chkdsk” command.
- Search for Command Prompt in the start menu search and select “Run as administrator”.
- Enter and execute the command in the command prompt window: chkdsk /r C:
- You will then be asked to check the disk on the next reboot, but the running computer cannot execute the command. You can schedule the process by typing “Y” and pressing Enter.
Now, restart your computer to fix the inaccessible boot device error.
Reset Windows 11
Press Windows+i keys to open the settings menu. In the Settings window, click Windows Update in the left panel, then click Advanced options in the right panel > Recovery > Reset PC under Recovery options > Click Keep in the Reset this PC window My File > Local Reinstall > Next > Reset.
Your PC will restart, check if the inaccessible boot device error is fixed.
Inspect Your Boot Drive connection
Check if the boot drive or Windows-installed hard drive or SSD is properly connected to the motherboard. If it is a hard disk solid state drive, please check that the SATA cable is properly connected.
If you have an NVME solid state drive, check if it is properly connected to the correct PCIe slot on the motherboard. If the connection is lost, then Windows will not be able to access the boot drive, which is why you get the inaccessible boot device error.
Update SATA adapter
- Press Windows+r keys to open the Run window. Now, in the Run window, type and execute command: devmgmt.msc.
- Click the arrow before “IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controller”.
- Right-click “Standard SATA AHCI Controller” and select “Update Driver”.
- In the new window, click Search for drivers automatically.
- The computer will automatically update the available drivers.
Then restart the computer to see if the inaccessible boot device error has been resolved.
Select the correct boot device from the BIOS
When you encounter an inaccessible boot device error, you should check if the correct boot device is selected in the motherboard’s BIOS.
- First, click Power Options in Start, then select Restart.
- When the computer starts to boot, press and hold the DEL key to enter the BIOS menu.
- Press F2 on your keyboard to switch to Advanced Mode.
- Click Boot > Startup Options #1
- Make sure the memory device with Windows 11 installed is selected.
- Click Save and Exit.
Next, your computer will restart to see if the inaccessible boot device error has been resolved.
That’s all about the solutions for INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error. If you are facing this issue, you can try these methods one by one to check if they can help you solve the INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error effectively.