Downloading games in the Xbox app is too slow? If you are using high network bandwidth but are still facing slow game downloads in the Xbox app, here are a few ways to fix the fixes to speed up the download process in Xbox for PC.
What Should You Do Before Fixing Xbox App Slow Download Speed in Windows 11/10?
First of all, you should close the Xbox app and then restart it to check if that helps.
Secondly, check the network speed by visiting website fast.com. No matter what you do, you won’t be able to increase your download speed in Xbox if your network is slow.
After that, you can do the following steps to prepare to fix Xbox app slow download speed.
Step 1: Start downloading games from the Xbox app. Pause the download. Close the Xbox app.
Step 2: Open the Microsoft Store, find the game and resume the download from there.
Now we will start to fix Xbox app slow download problem in Windows 11.
How to Fix Xbox App Slow Download Problem in Windows 11/10?
Fix 1: Set Global Adjustments to Auto/Normal
First set the Windows autotuning level to normal mode and test.
1. Press the Windows icon and enter “powershell” in the search box.
2. Right-click “Windows PowerShell” and click “Run as administrator” to open the terminal as an administrator.
3. On the PowerShell terminal, execute the following command
netsh interface tcp show global
4. Check that the Autoscale Level parameter is displayed as “Disabled” in the window.
5. If it is disabled, copy paste this code and hit enter to disable that level.
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
Now, close the window and open the Xbox app, then try to download the game again. Check to see if the slow download speed issue still occurs.
Fix 2: Disable downloads from other PCs
1. Open Settings.
2. Select “Windows Update” in the left pane.
3. On the right side, click Advanced Options to open it.
4. Tap the “Delivery Optimization” setting to turn it on.
5. Set the “Allow downloads from other PCs” setting to the “Off” setting.
With such a setup, computers will not upload/download WU components on your network. So, Xbox has better bandwidth to improve download speed.
Note: If your game is on a computer on the same network as your Xbox console, you can turn on the “Allow downloads from other computers” switch to increase game download speeds in your Xbox.
Fix 3: Update Xbox for PC
1. Open Microsoft Store.
2. Click “Library” in the left pane.
3. After Windows loads all the apps on your system, tap “Get Updates” to get the latest updates.
After the Xbox app auto-updates, check to see if the issue with games downloading too slowly in Xbox is resolved.
Fix 4: Reinstall the game service pack
Game Service Pack is an add-on for Xbox, please uninstall and reinstall it.
1. Open the start menu and search for PowerShell.
2. Right-click “Windows PowerShell”, click the “Run as administrator” option to run it as an administrator.
3. Copy and paste the following command and then press Enter.
Get-AppxPackage *gamingservices* -allusers | remove-appxpackage -allusers
Close the Powershell terminal and reboot the system.
4. Turn on your Xbox and you will be prompted to download Xbox Game Services. Click “Need game service, click download.
Download the Xbox game again to check for an improvement in download speed.
Fix 5: Remove bandwidth throttling
Bandwidth throttling may limit download speeds in Xbox. So, try to remove these bandwidth restrictions.
1. Press Win key + I key at the same time to open Settings.
2. Click “Windows Update” in the left pane.
3. Click “Advanced Options” to open it.
4. Scroll down to find and click on the “Delivery Optimization” setting.
5. On the Delivery Optimization page, click Advanced Options.
6. Locate to “Percentage of measured bandwidth (measured from update source)”.
7. Check the “Limit the amount of bandwidth used to download updates in the background” option and slide the slider to “100%”.
8. Tick “Limit bandwidth used by downloading updates in the background” and slide it to “100%”.
Close Settings and try downloading the game on your Xbox again.
Fix 6: Leaving the Xbox Insider Program
The Xbox Insider Program may cause games to download too slowly on Xbox. So try leaving the Xbox Insider Program.
1. Open the Xbox app.
2. Click on your Xbox username, then tap “Xbox Insider Program” from the drop-down menu.
3. In the left pane, click the Preview section.
4. On the right, go to the “Joined” section. Click on “Windows Games”.
5. Click Manage to manage the Insider Program.
6. Click “Leave Preview” to exit the Insider Program.
Shut down and restart your Xbox. Check the download speed again.
Fix 7: Reset/Repair Xbox App
Reset or repair the Xbox app to fix download speed issues. It’s worth noting that resetting the Xbox app will delete any games you’ve downloaded. Therefore, please back up these contents first.
1. Right-click the Windows icon and click “Installed Applications”.
2. Find the “Xbox” app.
3. Click the three-dot menu, then click Advanced Options.
4. Scroll down and tap “Repair” to repair the app.
Open the Xbox to download the game. Check if this improves download speed.
5. If repairing the Xbox app doesn’t help, you can reset the Xbox app.
7. Go back to “Settings” and tap “Reset”. Then, tap the “Reset” option again.
After resetting your Xbox, sign back in and download the game. Check to see if slow game download issues are resolved.
Fix 8: Uninstall and reinstall the Xbox app
If none of the above works, uninstall and reinstall the Xbox app.
1. Press the Windows + I keys.
2. Click “Applications” and then “Installed Apps” in the right pane.
3. On the right, find the Xbox app and tap the three-dot menu.
4. Then, click Uninstall to uninstall the app from your system.
5. Click “Uninstall” to uninstall it.
6. After uninstalling, open the Microsoft Store.
7. Search for “xbox” and click “Xbox” in the search results.
8. Click “Install” to reinstall.
After installing the Xbox is complete. Sign in to Xbox to download the game and check the download speed in Xbox.
This article introduces you 8 different ways to fix Xbox app slow download speed. If you are facing the Xbox slow download problem in Windows 11, then you can try above ways to fix it effectively and quickly.