Have you ever come across the Windows 11 touchpad not working. Don’t worry, touchpad issues are mostly caused by outdated drivers, random bugs, problematic Windows updates, and various other reasons. Next, this article will introduce several methods to fix Windows 11 touchpad not working.
How to Fix Windows 11 Touchpad Not Working?
If you are facing the Windows 11 touchpad not working issue, then you have come to the right place, keep reading below and you will find ways to fix Windows 11 touchpad not working issue.
Restart the computer to fix touchpad not working
Sometimes a temporary error can cause a touchpad not working issue. Therefore, it is recommended to restart the PC to see if this resolves the issue. If the problem persists after restarting the PC, then read the next method to fix the touchpad not working issue.
Enable Windows 11 touchpad
See if the Windows 11 touchpad is enabled. To use the touchpad, you must manually enable the Windows 11 PC’s touchpad. The detailed steps are as follows:
- Press Windows + I keys to open Settings.
- Find the Bluetooth and Devices section in the left sidebar.
- Click Touchpad Options.
- Turn on the touchpad switch.
Run the hardware troubleshooter to fix touchpad not working
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard and search for CMD in the start menu.
- Select CMD to run as administrator.
- Type in the command prompt and execute the command msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- In the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter window, click Next to run the Hardware Troubleshooter.
If none of the above methods resolve the touchpad not working issue, it is recommended to update your Windows PC.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Find Windows Update from the left sidebar.
- On the right click Check for Updates.
- Download and install all updates, then restart your PC.
After restarting, check again if the Windows 11 touchscreen not working issue is resolved.
Update touchpad driver
Outdated touchpad drivers can also cause touchpad issues. Therefore, you can try to update the touchpad driver to fix the touchpad not working issue.
- Press Windows + X keys and click Device Manager.
- Double-click to expand the Mouse and other pointing devices section.
- Right-click your touchpad, click Update Driver.
- Then, click Search automatically for drivers.
- Restart the computer and see if the touchpad not working issue is resolved.
Reinstall the touchpad driver
The problem with the touchpad may be due to a corrupt or malfunctioning driver, you can try reinstalling the touchpad driver to fix the problem.
- Open the start menu and search for Device Manager. Click Device Manager.
- Double-click to expand Mouse and other pointing devices in Device Manager.
- Right-click your touchpad driver and click Uninstall Device.
- After uninstalling, restarting the device will automatically reinstall the touchpad driver.
Scan your PC for viruses
In some cases, a computer virus infection may also cause the touchpad to not work. Therefore, it is recommended that you use an antivirus software to scan your PC for viruses.
If none of the above fixes the touchpad issue, the last resort is to reset your PC. Resetting your PC means restoring the system to factory settings. Most errors will be resolved after a reset. But before resetting, make sure you have backed up your files.
- Press the Windows + I keys to open the Settings app on your PC.
- On the right side of the System tab, click the Recovery option.
- Click the “Reset PC” button to move on.
- You will be faced with two options: keep my files and delete everything.
- Select Keep my files if you want to keep your files but delete all apps and settings.
- Select Delete everything if you want to delete everything from your PC, including files, applications, and settings.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your PC.
If you’re facing issues with your touchpad on Windows 11, this article will help you to resolve it. That’s all we’ve discussed steps to help fix touchpad not working in Windows 11.