If you have copied information, the copied information will be recorded on the clipboard in Windows 11. These records include data such as text, images, or files, which have the advantage that you can paste this data later. But the data will remain on your PC until you shut down the PC. Anyone using your computer during this time can access the clipboard and examine the files you copied.
So many users want to clear clipboard history to protect data from being leaked. Usually, restarting your Windows 11 PC clears this data. Next, this article will show you how to clear clipboard data without restarting your PC.
How to Clear Clipboard History in Windows 11
There are many ways to clear the clipboard history in Windows 11, today we will introduce 6 ways to clear the clipboard history in Windows 11.
Clear Clipboard History Using Command Prompt
Use Command Prompt to clear clipboard history on Windows 11. The detailed steps are as follows:
- Press Windows key, open Start menu.
- Search for CMD, then right-click Command Prompt, select Run as administrator.
- Type and execute the command echo.|clip to clear the clipboard history.
Clear Clipboard History Using Run Dialog
In addition to the command prompt, you can also run a dialog to clear the clipboard history.
- Press Windows + R to launch Run dialog.
- Type cmd /c echo.|clip and click OK.
- This will clear the clipboard history in Windows 11.
Clear Clipboard History Using Desktop Shortcuts
The third method is to create a desktop shortcut to clear the clipboard history.
- Right-click your desktop, hit New, click Shortcut.
- Under the Location field, type cmd /c echo.|clip and click Next.
- Name the shortcut Clear Clipboard and click Done.
- The next time you double-click the shortcut, it clears the clipboard history.
Use Keyboard Shortcuts to Clear Clipboard History in Windows 11
- Right-click the Clear Clipboard shortcut you created and click Properties from the context menu.
- In the Properties window, go to the Shortcuts tab.
- Click in the field next to Shortcut and enter the keyboard shortcut. For example Ctrl + Shift + Alt + C
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
- Press Windows + R, type shell: Start menu and press Enter.
- Double-click the program folder in the open file explorer window.
- Copy clear clipboard shortcut on the desktop to the folder.
- This successfully sets up a keyboard shortcut to clear clipboard history.
From Clipboard History Flyout
In addition to the above methods, you can also clear the clipboard history directly from the Clipboard History popup.
- Press Windows + V to open the Clipboard History popup.
- Click Clear All to clear all history.
- To clear a specific item from the history, click the three ellipses next to the item you want to delete, click the trash (delete) icon to delete the item.
Use Settings to Clear Clipboard History Windows 11
Another way to clear your clipboard history in Windows 11 is to use the Settings app.
- Press Windows + I, launch Settings app.
- Then click Clipboard.
- Click Clear button next to Clear Clipboard Data option.
- Disable clipboard history
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- In the System tab, click Clipboard.
- Toggle off clipboard history to disable clipboard history.
That’s all for how to clear clipboard history in Windows 11. Reading the above methods can help you clear your clipboard history quickly.